Friday, August 24, 2007

Insomnia

Insomnia
I was dead tired last night
But somehow my mind hadn't gotten the memo,
11:45 and it's still going twelve directions a second
Going crazy, a kindergartener's coloring page
Mum will hang it on the refrigerater,
The world will smile. "She's crazy."
Tomorrow, sure, I can color in the lines, but tonight
I'm following the laws of Entropy.

"Lord, have mercy on me, I'm dead tired.
Let me sleep." My fervent prayer
Seems unanswered, I know He's up there listening,
But why I have to have these ideas tonight is beyond me.

At last, mercy is granted; received. It's after midnight.
I sleep, dreamlessly, soundly,
Wake up too early; wondering if I'd actually rested at all.
I know I have, I can actually move instead of staring blankly at the wall.

And still, I braid my hair in a tight braid
Fix it with a pink elastic
And my mind is just barely in the lines.
Tonight I'll rest--
My idea has been written.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.